I believe the JA Dstar Repeater folks have a better idea with band
identifier.  Using call sign routing, ie., UR=/JP3XYZA the Band
Identifier, 'A' represents the first repeater installed, and 'B' the
second, or at least that is my understanding.  You will most likely
find a contact on their 'A' repeater, regardless of band.

Here in the rest of the world, 'A' represents 23cm, B - 70cm and C -
2m.  There is no pattern of which repeater has the most activity
unless you use jfindu or the like -

http://www.jfindu.net/dstarlh.aspx?rptr=K5CTX

It would be nice if the data readily available could be formatted in a
more useful manner for setting up radios - something like an activity
meter.  73, Steve NU5D