From: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dstar_digi...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of John Hays
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:33 PM
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: 880 vs 800 (was: Re: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] Signal Distance)

On May 14, 2009, at 1:40 PM, Nate Duehr wrote:

> Agreed. I always assumed "registration" was to meet regulatory
> requirements somewhere, but the more I thought about it, regulations
> are
> written that each Amateur Station is responsible for their own
> transmissions.

I don't the reason for it, but I suspect that it was to support DD
callsign to IP mapping and was just carried over to DV. Which is
silly anyway, since the DD format is Ethernet encapsulation, not IP
encapsulation. What if I wanted to run XNS (Xerox Networking Service)
or Novell's IPX over D-STAR, its Ethernet but not IP. The gateway
system should concern itself with routing to Callsigns as a transport
and let the Ethernet networking be setup according to the stations'
preferences. (And why not use network 44 which belongs to the amateur
community rather than 10 for IP anyway?) The D-STAR DD network should
be a tunneling network.

John Hays
Amateur Radio: K7VE
j...@hays.org <mailto:john%40hays.org>