At 05:22 PM 5/17/2009, you wrote:

>That'd be silly.  If I want to KNOW for sure the call made it to the
>other side, and get a RESPONSE from the network that says so, the ONLY
>option for that is callsign routing.

This is true, DPlus does not give any concrete indications that
you're getting anywhere.  However, it is an extremely useful addition.

>Try listening in on on a Reflector-based D-Plus Net sometime and see how
>many stations double and can't figure out that's what happened.  It's
>REALLY obvious when you listen/watch for it.

I found the DV Dongle useful for watching what's happening on a reflector.

>Another common mistake on Reflectors:  People don't listen for AT LEAST
>THREE MINUTES before transmitting after linking in.  D-Plus is slightly
>busted in that it can't "pick up in the middle of a stream" when you
>link your local repeater into a Reflector and there's already a
>transmission taking place.  You hear NOTHING.

That's a biggie.  Who's going to wait 3 minutes?  It's a battle to
get people to listen for 15-30 seconds on IRLP, before
calling.  Hopefully, it will one day be possible to resolve this
issue, and have DPlus send traffic to newly connected stations within
a few seconds of the connection being made

>It's not fully-baked yet.  Callsign routing is.

True.  There's a number of situations that I don't really like
callsign routing for, but it is the better developed method for using gateways.

>As I've said before, I use both.  But your zealoutry (you've made this

Me too.  I probably use each method 50% of the time.  If I know who
I'm calling, or which system I want to call, I'll generally use
callsign routing.  I generally use DPlus linking mainly for nets on
reflectors or DV Dongle use.

>For one repeater to one repeater "linking" it's mainly attractive to
>people because it requires less brainpower to operate, and considering
>that callsign routing doesn't really require much brainpower, it's kinda
>funny really.  How hard is it to keep your regular contact's repeaters
>in a memory channel as a "/repeater" route?  Not hard at all.

I don't use a lot of routes, so I just have the setup to access the
local gateway in memory, and use the UR callsign memory to dial up a
destination I've previously used, or manually add it, if there is a
new one.  For incoming calls, I'll try one touch reply first.  If
that doesn't work, I have to assume it's a DPluc link, unless the
other end gives their origin gateway.

>I think also from a human-training point of view, it adds confusion.
>People start to think the ONLY way to call another system is via D-Plus
>commands, and that's just not accurate.  If they want to KNOW their call
>went through, they really should be using callsign routes and
>understanding them.

I work a little differently, so I can swap between techiques as the
situation fits.  For everyone else, they just need to learn both
methods, and when to use which. :)  I know, that seems hard for a lot
of people, but we're stuck with that, until there's suitable, sane
interlocks that prevent people from doing the _really_ loopy things,
and telling them when things don't work as they intended (e.g. busy,
in link, etc).

>Is it nice to have Dongle users and Reflectors, sure.  Is D-Plus the
>answer to all routing/calling for everything?  Not yet.  Not by a long
>shot.

Agree, but they are useful. :)  Time will see big improvements, I'm sure.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com