Woodrick, Ed wrote:

> More refined is what I see from see, feel, touch, operating, and reading
> the manual. Have you done as much or are you just reporting on what you
> have heard on the mail lists.

That's good.  You're the first person to post that.  There hasn't BEEN
any discussion here on the lists, just on-air rumors, that I've seen.
That's why I carefully said I don't have the new rigs.

> The ID880 is DEFINITELY a radio that is more refined for D-STAR.
> Better display of received callsign
> Better DPRS support
> More memory channels
> New Repeater List memories
> RX-CS key is one touch

So are these things worth the additional $50 to you?

> These are not debatable points.

"Debatable" meaning "is it worth it"?  You're attempting to be awfully
literal for a hobby.

Who really cares?

Anyway... My point was...

A used 800H may be a STEAL if someone who's a "I must have the latest
and greatest" person sells one right now to upgrade to an 880 and you
cat get it $100 off from a new 880.  There's nothing "wrong" with an
800H...

No one who's a newbie should be scared off from a good "deal" on an 800,
now or in the future... they're a solid rig and work fine, even though
the official comparison chart attempts to insinuate LIGHTLY that things
like GPS don't really work.  They work fine... GPS-A isn't a requirement
to play on GPS on D-STAR.

> The ID880 Repeater list memories are not the same as the standard
> memories. So you get all of the functionality of the 800 plus the new
> functionality.

Understand that.  My understanding from talking to folks that have them,
is that the 1000 memories are complete frequency + callsign memories,
and the repeater memories as seen in the 800H that can hold ANY
callsign, no longer exist.  Is that accurate?  Could you elaborate?

Also, what's this DR mode?  Will it be useful to anyone right now, since
it's only available on the 880 (and possibly the 80?... again don't know
what it is or why I'd want to pay $50 for it... since you have an 880,
tell us.)

Nate WY0X