I think that any IP address (terminal) assigned to a DV radio is an
artifact of the ID-1 networking design.  I also think Icom engineering
missed that DD is D-STAR Frame encapsulation of Ethernet and not
TCP/IP.  Certainly TCP/IP can live in the Ethernet frame, but its my
belief that to be true to the D-STAR air protocol, any gateway design
must support transport of any Ethernet frame that is encapsulated by a
D-STAR Frame.  Like so many networking transports, there are layers to
the stack.  The gateway should transport D-STAR frames to the gateway
that currently services the DST/UR D-STAR address.  I certainly don't
have a problem where the use of something DNS facilitates that, but I
don't like artificial dependencies and artifacts.

So lets say that Gateway 1 is at 24.22.100.19 with FQDN
KX1XYZ.dstartransport.net and is servicing the following:

Repeater Module KX1XYZ A
Repeater Module KX1XYZ B
Repeater Module W1AW   (Think outside the Icom implementation, callsigns
are just addresses)
Radio NU1TY
Radio W1ABC
Radio KN1ZKY

If we want to use DNS, we certainly can have

KX1XYZ_A   IN   A   24.22.100.19 or IN CNAME KX1XYZ.dstartransport.net.
KX1XYZ_B   IN   A   24.22.100.19 or IN CNAME KX1XYZ.dstartransport.net.
W1AW   IN   A   24.22.100.19 or IN CNAME KX1XYZ.dstartransport.net.
NU1TY IN   A   24.22.100.19 or IN CNAME KX1XYZ.dstartransport.net.
W1ABC IN   A   24.22.100.19 or IN CNAME KX1XYZ.dstartransport.net.
KN1ZKY IN   A   24.22.100.19 or IN CNAME KX1XYZ.dstartransport.net.

Then if KN1ZXY keys up on Gateway 2 at 188.199.200.5 with FQDN
WX1XX.dstartransport.net
Its record is rapidly updated to
KN1ZKY IN   A   188.199.200.5 or IN CNAME WX1XX.dstartransport.net.
(of course you could use record types as well)

This would allow traffic to be directed to either Gateway 1 (KX1XYZ) or
Gateway 2 (WX1XX) by looking up the serviced callsign and routing
accordingly.  When an Internet packet arrives at the designated gateway
via IP addressing, it extracts the D-STAR frame and directs it based on
its callsign and associated port (not a meaningless IP address).  If the
D-STAR frame is DV, it should eventually end up a radio or other device
with AMBE decoding capability, if it is DD, the DD device would extract
the Ethernet packet and present it to the device's Ethernet connection.
Then the DD device owner can build whatever network topoplogy they
desire based on the protocol selected. (For example, a token passing
bus, might be better for ID-1 throughput, than a CDMA based TCP/IP system.)

Personally, I would not implement gateway address management as a TCP/IP
DNS system, leave that to allow gateways (and other Internet connected
D-STAR application servers)  to find and communicate with one another.
The address mapping can happen in dynamic structures (like a hashtable)
and only use a scheme like the DNS records, to fill in when the
destination gateway is not known.

--
John D. Hays
Amateur Radio Station K7VE <http://k7ve.org>