On Jul 27, 2009, at 4:02 PM, Woodrick, Ed wrote:

> Don’t believe that DNS updates are instantaneous. In common
> configuration, IP address changes can easily take 6 hours.
>

> And if you pull the TTLs down to something short, you start to bang
> the heck out of the centralized name servers. Whoops, let me say the
> one centralized name server, because zone replication timeframes
> will also add a lot of delay.
>

> Ed WA4YIH

That's what proper master/slave and so-called "hidden master"
relationships were designed for along with IXFR and the NOTIFY
feature.  Updates in a properly configured DNS hierarchy with the
tools already in BIND can easily be virtually instantaneous.

BIND can handle the entire Internet.  With the right master/slave,
IXFR, and other features (already built in) turned on, it can
certainly handle the *dinky* zones involved in D-STAR with nearly-
instantaneous updates and exceedingly low TTL times.

I've designed such setups before.  It's not difficult.  AFAIK the
design I implemented in 1997 is still handling ALL of the hosted
customer DNS at the ISP/Data Center I worked at until 2001 today in
2009... they've only replaced hardware when it failed, last I asked.

The only thing that ever brought it down, and even then... only in one
city, was a customer that turned on reverse DNS lookups for a millions
of hits per second, which was easily remedied by giving them their own
resolvers...

The use of DNS/BIND as the core technology in updates wasn't flawed --
the Icom engineers had that part right.  It's just that the BIND
settings are implemented wrong beyond that.

BIND could have also been the "database" and handled the other data
that's contained in the Postgres DB with creative use of TXT records.
It's surprising that an RDBMS was used at all.  But that's advanced,
and not necessary, just something I've noticed.

So anyway... it's a piece of cake to reduce load on a central DNS
server.  It's DESIGNED to do that.  BIND is EXCEEDINGLY well-equipped
to do it.

Happy to help set it up properly, if someone contacts me off-list and
is serious about working on it from the Trust Server on down.  DNS has
been one of the specialities I've worked on professionally for --
yikes -- over a decade...

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
n...@natetech.com