Hey Steve,  you may find this link helpful.

http://www.bosshardradio.com/dstarrepeatertesting/

This link provides for a PTT switch on the TX and a receive FM audio monitor
point.  (note the repeater does NOT demodulate dstar date into audio, but you
can easily inject narrow FM (+/- 2.5KHZ @1000) into the antenna port and
measure SINAD at the discriminator test point).

For coverage to be THAT BAD you may have coax lines switched or a shorted
connector.  DSTAR repeaters are equal or better than FM with some caveats - in
motion you may get some loss of sync from multipath, etc.  Also be careful if
Jon has been helping (grin).

To answer your question I believe information is stored in an eeprom and
factory guarded software is needed to adjust RX squelch, etc - nothing you can
do in the field without some special software.

So far I have seen one deaf 440 repeater with a bad crystal filter, and I
believe in Frankfurt Germany, DF6RK ran into a PA problem on 440.  They have
been VERY reliable boxes.  (especially for what they are).

73, steve nu5d