Clint:

Thanks for the comprehensive notes.  We had been experiencing some
intermittent on-channel signals on our UHF dstar repeater; we installed the
dstar discriminator tap and fed this unsquelched audio into the sound card
of a co-located an IRLP node, which routed it back to a node here at the
house where I could monitor it on a local PC speaker.  We identified the
source within a day.  Just need to design a squelch circuit as monitoring
white noise was not pleasant....

Greg
N6LDJ