honestly i don't think you could ask for any better then that, but the
desense sounds like i have no duplexer's
and I'm starting to point at the poor construction of this over sized
empty box and shielding mobile radios give you

Hmm, well there are many ‘poor construction over sized empty box’ units running
just fine out there.  I didn’t replace the cables on mine, just brought it up
and began testing.  We used a handheld with a fixed antenna with switchable
attenuators.  We continued to drop the signal coming out of the handheld until
we started get packet errors.  Then we added a 20dB preamp that allowed us to
drop the input signal another 9dB until we started getting packet errors.  We
then switched to low power and were not able to really find a difference.  Next
test was to put a dummy load on the transmitter which didn’t make any
noticeable difference, so we assumed very little if any desense.

73