At 05:45 AM 12/20/2009, Nate Duehr wrote:

On Dec 19, 2009, at 12:24 PM, Gary Pearce KN4AQ wrote:

> In doing a little research, I learned that SSB was originally created for long distance telephone use, for things like the Atlantic cable as Adam notes, in the early 1930's. It first appeared in Amateur Radio experimentally in 1947. QST began running regular articles about it in '49.

Hams were about 17 years behind the times back then, and continue that tradition, eh Gary? ;-)

Nate Duehr, WY0X
<mailto:nate%40natetech.com>n...@natetech.com

Hmmm, a complex question. While P25 is more than a decade old, my little town is still using an analog trunked system for public safety. (On the other hand, they built one of the first trunked systems in the area, before P25 was available.) There's still plenty of analog commercial/public-safety two-way out there. So hams may be late to the digital party, but we're not the last to arrive.

As for Sideband, maybe someone else has a better handle on the history, but as I understand it, hams were among the first to apply what was a wire-line telephone technology to radio. And it wasn't until 1957 that General Curtis LeMay K0GRL/W6EZV applied his ham radio experience to the Air Force radio systems, converting them from AM to SSB.

Kind of hard to compete with the mega-millions research labs, but now and then we score a hit. We'll probably discover something about digital voice that nobody else thought of first.

73,
Gary KN4AQ

ARVN: Amateur Radio//Video News
Gary Pearce KN4AQ