Well my county isn't even trunked.  My city is analog trunked.  My county still
uses 2 GHz analog links between VHF receive sites.

Yes the dynamic of American business has a large impact on how we as hams are
lagging or leading the way.

Garry is right, now it's mega-million research labs behind consumer/ commercial
technology instead of smaller business research of 20 or more years ago.  The
technology has also become much more complex and integrated, making it harder
for the average ham to work with.  (I'll refrain from the drivel about how a
shift on quantity of hams instead of building quality is also part of this.)

However on a good note, we are headed inch-by-inch to more of a software
defined radio platform.  So I was very pleased to see the recent ham radio
articles in the recent issue of Linux Journal.

While America might not have many electronic repair techs as compared to from
the 1960-1980's, as most electronics is produced overseas and we are much of a
throw-away society.. I think we still have some American programmers... it's
time to welcome or entice them to the hobby.

I have to admit I was drawn to D-Star because of the homebrew projects
developing. I'm not a big talker, more of a tinkerer.

I still feel some sort of marriage between D-Star and Asterisk/SIP could be a
potential big discovery.  Even the MotoTRBO stuff doesn't yet have hooks for
business to interconnect their VOIP phone systems to their radio systems.

Or how about twitter style short text message feeds to groups radios to remind
club members of meetings etc.

Really there is still a lot of even small ideas that can be implemented.