From: Gary Pearce KN4AQ <kn...@arrl.net>
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, January 17, 2010 6:18:28 PM
Subject: Re: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] Re: New guy

At 05:36 PM 1/17/2010, ad5rb wrote:

If you want to hear the
>developers in person, there are a series of videos available from Gary
>Pearce, KN4AQ, at
>www.ARVideoNews. com
Thanks for the plug, Richard.  I'll add that the program "Digital Voice for
Amateur Radio" is the one you want for a basic "What is it?" If you're in a
radio club, it'll make a good meeting program or two. And I've got a bunch of
articles and radio reviews you can download on the "otherstuff" page on the web
site.

I'll add that for over the road, when you're in range of a D-STAR repeater, you
can connect it to "reflectors" with multiple repeaters, and talk to the same
group of hams no matter where you are.  When you're NOT in range (and D-STAR
isn't everywhere yet by a long shot), you can use a laptop with an air card and
a DVDongle (www.dvdongle. com) and talk anywhere on the D-STAR network
worldwide. Pretty soon, there will be a new version of the dongle that will let
you create a mini-pool of D-STAR RF coverage around your PC in your truck, so
you can use a D-STAR HT inside the truck stop and connect anywhere on the
network.

73,
Gary KN4AQ

ARVN: Amateur Radio//Video News