Remember, "no other manufacturer" is incorrect. Inet Labs has become a big
player.

Icom doesn't really have an icy grip on D-STAR, it's the other manufacturers
that are too stupid to adopt it.

As to dependency on the DVDongle, it should be treated as just another tool in
the tool belt. There are some places where it is much more optimal for
communications to use a DVDongle. We would be paying ourselves and our
customers (during emergency communications) a disservice if we only used one
thing when other solutions are available.

p.s. "we should not become dependent on it" was the exact same phrase that the
AMers and SSBers used when talking about FM repeaters. After all, you can't
trust a FM repeater to always be there. It can lose power, it can be blown
away, it can be.....

But I think that most people would now agree that repeaters are a key part of
our emergency response arsenal.

As to setting up the network to support RF only connections, well shortly put,
it ain't going to happen. The infrastructure required to hook up all of the
repeaters in a single major city would be prohibitively expensive. (as is
evidenced in the cost of cellular networks). Let alone the ability to connect
overseas.

Ed WA4YIH