I disagree with all the other posters who said this is possible and
easy.

This would be easy with an ID-800 or ID-880; they do not have an
internal GPS, and rely on a serial NMEA feed from an external GPS. The
IC-2820 has a GPS inside the radio (on the UT-123 D-STAR board). What
you plug in is not an external GPS - it is just a GPS antenna. What you
want to do would require either simulating the RF transmission from
several GPS satellites, or injecting the feed into an appropriate place
inside the radio (assuming it uses serial NMEA internally - I don't know
if it does).

If you want to send and receive position reports via a computer, then
this is simple and can already be done, but it sounds like you want to
use the radio's GPS features, which is a different matter.

73,
Brian
VE7NGR