John,

But you can do all of those things today with non-Icom projects. It is a question of the G2 network at this point, there is a lot of politics going on about who and what can connect, but the technology exists.

One example - http://k7ve.org/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=26 though I now have a GMSK board and am working on getting a real repeater (probably Kenwood or Motorola used equipment) to hook it into.

SSB was patented at one point (1915 - see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-sideband_modulation) . This "mode" / protocol is more open than many of the others were initially, its a homebrewers world right now or you can buy from Icom (which I will for handhelds and mobiles).