  From: Woodrick, Ed
  To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 1:57 PM
  Subject: RE: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] New poll for dstar_digital

  First, in the section that you cut, the reason for Field Day is to test our
Emergency Preparedness. It’s not to make points.

  The use of repeaters, by many, is driven by the fact that repeaters are a
part of the Emergency Response plans for many organizations. I could maybe see
excluding fixed location repeaters, but portable repeaters are a big part of
our Emergency Communications plans, there should be no reason to preclude their
use.

  The setup and operation of most Field Day sites is indeed similar to
something that you might find as an emergency response in Haiti or rural areas
of Chile, but it has very little to with operations that you would find
throughout most of the US.

  Today’s Field Day is more like an Emergency Response that Amateurs would have
used in 1950, than one that we would have used in the last 40 years.

  Ed WA4YIH