From: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dstar_digi...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Chris Fowler
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 4:27 PM
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] New poll for dstar_digital

On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 20:13 +0000, Woodrick, Ed wrote:

> 6.8. No repeater contacts are allowed.
>

> Personal Observation – ARRL added the no repeaters rule in the late
> 70’s as an effort to keep from overwhelming 2M. This was back when
> many areas only had two or three repeaters and having a three field
> day stations hang out on the same repeater could result in a massacre.
> 60, 30, 17, and 12-meter bands were included in the same vein, to keep
> a limited use resource from becoming overwhelmed. Since the rules were
> implemented, the number of repeaters has blossomed dramatically and
> the impact of a field day operation on a repeater has been minimized.

How about RF to RF contacts using repeaters with no link. Many clubs
are very competitive when it comes to FD. I would believe chasing down
contacts using a 2820 linked to WD4STR linked to REF030C would be a way
that these clubs could try to get some large numbers. Especially if you
notify the global D-Star community.

At some point the desire for points will undermine the whole purpose of
Field Day.