At 10:23 AM 4/20/2010, cybersapient wrote:
I'm surprised you didn't suggest that the analog FM users on simplex simply put a PL tone on- it works in simplex, as well, you know.

Hi, Shane,

PL (CTCSS) "works" on simplex technically, of course. But it's not feasible logistically.

CTCSS requires what I'll call a "cooperative effort" - everybody has to know and agree to use it, and agree on a specific tone frequency. On analog repeaters, cooperation is mandated, at least to access the repeater. Keeping your own receiver quiet by using tone decode is your choice.

Do you think that kind of cooperative effort is possible across a broad range of simplex users (such as you'll find on 146.58, or any of the band-plan simplex channels)?

Do you think it can be imposed on simplex operators, as in, "Don't like my D-STAR digital hash? Well, use CTCSS and don't bother me again."? (Do you know how many hams don't even know what D-STAR IS yet?)

That contains all the ingredients you need for a range war, and everybody loses.

Separate spectrum exists for simplex (while it is very had to come by for repeaters). Let's use it, and be good neighbors. We will have to be aware of packet or other digital activity in the 145.5-145.8 region, and dodge that when we find it.

============
bruce mallon <wa4...@yahoo.com> wrote:

STAY OFF KNOWN SIMPLEX FREQUENCIES ! It's that simple.

Closer, Bruce, but here's the rub. Simplex channels (or, what I think you really meant is "known simplex USE") are "known" mostly by the people using them regularly, not by the general population surrounding them.

Here in my medium-size area (Raleigh-Durham NC, 29th TV market, ~1,000,000 population demographic), various clubs and ARES groups have suggested that their members use of one or another simplex channel. There are some ad-hoc groups of hams who end up on one channel for weeks, months, maybe years. None keep the channels very busy, but most have a few hams who monitor them on and off. I know that exists, but I couldn't tell you who's using what across the region.

These simplex groups are all way too loose for coordinated CTCSS (except in the mind of the dedicated urban planner). So I still think that, for now, we're best off staying off ALL the band plan simplex channels, and establish our own spot. Though if you think you know a spot above 146 MHz that is truly vacant, well, enjoy it.

Maybe some day we'll be established enough to get a spot for digital simplex in the band plan, but don't hold your breath (and the guys in the know are now holding their sides and ROTFL - not because we don't deserve the spectrum, but because they know just how likely ANY "band plan" changes and recognition are for anything new or different, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms).

73,
Gary KN4AQ

ARVN: Amateur Radio//Video News
Gary Pearce KN4AQ