WOW- I sure poked an ant bed here, didn't I????

My point is DSTAR can operate SIMPLEX, as that is what I thought the point was
for field day. Now assuming we're talking about SIMPLEX, one could SHARE a
SIMPLEX frequency with all the other hams out there.

Hams are a pretty intelligent lot- they passed at least one or two exams to get
an operators license. Hams are supposed to be resourceful people, as well,
aren't they? I don't know how hard it would be for folks in a local area to
say, as one person here suggested- use a PL tone for all the analog FM folks-
pick something magical, like 100Hz PL tone. Everyone turns on their PL, and no
one has to hear any MSK modulation whatsoever. The DSTAR folks would run in
automatic mode, and could hear the analog FM operators, and even make contact
with them. DSTAR folks can talk with the other DSTAR folks, as well.

DSTAR uses FM transmission mode to transmit GMSK (Gausian Minimum-Shift Keying)
signaling.

The point is here we need cooperation. Again Field Day is about getting a
message across.

I'm not trying to shove DSTAR down anyone's throat- I won't probably even have
my DSTAR equipment on Field Day.

Look at other modes, like PK32- it's digital, too. I am sure there are people
out there that don't like that mode, either. But it's one of the best modes for
getting a signal through in tough conditions.

The "range war" concept- seriously? There is NO ownership of any frequency. We
all SHARE the frequencies we have allocated to us. In this day and age where
the bands are pretty underutilized, I'm surprised there is such rancor about
sharing the band with people in differing modes.

The whole point here is let's get things coordinated- there's at least two
months before Field Day comes along, so why not put our heads together and be
forward looking on how to insure maximum inter-communications between hams?

That seems sensible, doesn't it?

73,
Shane
KE7TR