On May 8, 2010, at 3:54 AM, J. Moen wrote:

> My experience with D-Star repeaters is they give me a bit more range than
> analog FM, as long as there's no multipath.  I can work a D-Star repeater on
> top of Mt. Diablo in northern California from Dixon with my 91AD running less
> than 5 watts with an HT -- this is over 40 miles.  In the greater San
> Francisco Bay Area, we have six D-Star repeaters I'm aware of, not counting
> ones north of the Bay, or over in Sacramento.  They all work.

Note: Mt. Diablo has serious add-on filtering and a pre-amp custom configured
for the receiver/frequency/noise floor at that site, last I heard.

> D-Star flat out works.  If you live somewhere where it doesn't, that only
> shows that those repeater operators are not achieving what almost all other
> D-Star repeaters are doing.  You should refrain from drawing a line through
> your one data point.

Agreed, but I'd be curious where you get your data about what "all other D-STAR
repeaters are doing"... Jim?  I think SoCal has a higher percentage of D-STAR
systems that have add-on preamps, final amplifiers, and other accoutrements
than most of the rest of the country... a sign of the economies of scale you
guys have with so many active hams out there... or something.

We should do a poll of the Gateway/system operators... if we could find all of
them, and see how many have already... or have plans to... add pre-amps on
receive, additional filtering, upgraded internal cabling, high power final
amps, etc...

W0CDS does NOT have any of these, due to budgetary constraints.  We cheated a
bit and put it up 5000' higher than the average terrain which has been a
blessing and a curse.  It's down again, awaiting someone to go visit it with a
snow-cat... because we apparently aren't going to have a season called "Spring"
here in the Colorado Front Range, this year.  ;-)

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
n...@natetech.com