At 02:33 AM 6/10/2010, you wrote:

>Of course we could come up with better network protocols (security,
>no #...@$# pre-registration of radios -- the callsign is the
>registration, strong authentication for network connected devices,
>better discovery and update, classes of traffic with full admin
>control by rule, ...) .... the air protocol is basically documented.

Agree totally.  The network side of D-STAR could be overhauled, and
we hams have the experience of running G1 and G2, as well as relevant
experience from networks such as IRLP and Echolink (both of which
kick D-STAR to death on the network security side of things).

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com