On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 10:27 AM, kristof_wanderer
>     My radio got wet during a flash flood, well it was under creek water
>     for a few hours. It was not on during at the time. As I expected it
>     doesn't work. Before I applied power to the radio I disassembled the
>     radio, cleaned the boards, connections, etc. and dried it using a
>     hair dryer for about three hours. I then allowed it to sit in the
>     open air overnight. I reassembled the radio and tried it and it
>     still won't work.
>
>     Other than buying a new radio, any other suggestions I can try to
>     get the radio up and operational again?
>
>     Your suggestions are appreciated!

First sign of life is the +5V supply voltage for the control head.
Measure each pin (as I can't recall which is the +5V) against ground and
if you see +5V, the regulator to power the control head which eventually
turns the radio on, has it's lifeline available. The regulator is on
regardless of the power switch, if the main fuses are OK.

I had one ID-800H which had this lifeline dead. There was no voltage
although the regulator was OK, as a 0-ohm resistor just before the
control head connector in the main chassis was burnt for some reason. It
had acted like a fuse, by design.

Next thing to check would propably be the power switch itself, as it
might not like water at all.

If you fail to get it working, I'm interrested to buy the radio for
spare parts!

Erik OH2LAK

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional