At 09:34 AM 7/28/2010, Mike Murphy wrote:
I am considering adding an Icom 880 to the car along with the Icom 2720 that is already installed. My concern is having 2 radios on the same band blasting 50 watts into the other receiver. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill or is having 2 radios on the same band running that much power a bad idea?

Michael Murphy - KD8OK

Wow, look at all the hams who have multiple VHF/UHF radios in their mobiles. I'm proud of you guys!

I have a 2820, Yaesu 8900 and ICOM 706 (and Alinco 220, CB, a DVAP and a scanner) all in a little RAV4, with antennas distributed around the roof and front cowl.

No worries on damaging or "burning out" a front end, even at high power (though I'd keep at least a couple of feet between antennas). Expect to desense any other radio in the same band when you're transmitting, though if you're at 5 watts, you'll still be able to hear strong repeaters.

Every transmitter also has weak "spurs" (spurious signals) that you'll be close enough to hear on random frequencies. And your VHF signal will have a "strong" third harmonic at 3x your transmit frequency. They'll be heard in the UHF band (for example, if you transmit on 147.45, you'll hear a big signal on 442.35 - the FCC knew what it was doing when it assigned hams "harmonically related" bands).

ARVN: Amateur Radio//Video News
Gary Pearce KN4AQ
508 Spencer Crest Ct.
Cary, NC 27513