I enjoy all the posts and learn quite a bit just by reading them, especially as
a relatively new D-Star user myself.  Not only am I learning how it works but
also how to use it more effectively and efficiently.

And let's not forget that mentoring new Hams (and even old Hams who are new to
a mode like D-Star) is one of the characteristics that make our pasttime/hobby
what it is.  Mentor those who don't know how and they will make the most of
their equipment's capabilities and will enjoy their equipment and their hobby
even more.

73 de Tim, AF1G

---- "Steve Bosshard (NU5D)" <bossh...@gmail.com> wrote:

=============
You speak a great truth Joe.  All of these add ons that Robin brings to the
hobby are nice and I am sure they are here to stay.

In the context of a fellow driving down the road trying to answer a call,
however, DVAPS and Dongles, and DSTAR Mon while nice are not very useful.  I
suppose I could use a wireless connection and a PC, but I don't know that
such would aid in answering a call on the radio.

Also right this moment, if I wanted to call you on my dstar radio, all I
need to do is set the UR=W8SS and call.  I know that you know how to answer,
but lots of folks don't and that is the point.

I don't have a DVAP (I have a dstar system instead) and I do own a dongle
that I don't use very often.  For me it is more convenient to use the radio
and I have more flexibility.  With the radio I can link / unlink and make
calls to a particular station - I don't believe you can do these things with
a dongle, but I may be wrong.

In this little corner of the world there are 10 to 15 repeaters linked to
reflector 4B.  Users can un-link and relink at will and during inactivity,
the gateway computer automatically re-links.  4B is not very busy, so we get
the best of both call sign routing and at the same time reflector linking.
As far as causing QRM - call sign routing will not transmit on top of the
far end station, but it will allow transmit when the far end is not busy in
between transmissions.

So no, I am not anti Dplus - it is what it is and like you said Robin brings
many things to the market.  I just hate to see folks limit themselves by not
knowing more about the capabilities of their radios.

All meant for the betterment of the hobby and no flames or such intended and
as always, I may well be completely wrong.  Keep smiling,  steve nu5d