Absolutely true about occasional breaking stations in between 'overs' during
a conversation.  I try and leave a few seconds pause between PTTs just to
accommodate breaking stations (who have no clue about the conversation in
progress).  Also I / the station I am in contact with have the option to
ignore the breaking station.  I do agree that it can be a bit disrupting.
On the other hand the breaking station knows what repeater or ham call he is
trying to reach with call sign routing.  (and if by a pc on the internet
looking at dstarusers.org know who is occupying what repeater).

I have never played with IRLP or Echolink but in 30 years of PMR / Land
Mobile service I have seen some of the very best and also some of the very
worst amateur linked systems in terms of audio levels, quality, noise and
distortion.  Dstar seems to be consistent in that stations are all pretty
much equal in loudness and there is no white noise / crackle, etc.  Instead
we have loss of sync beyond forward error correction's ability to fill in
the blanks.  R2D2, so to speak.

For me, a hybrid of linking and callsign routing works best.  One size
doesn't fit all.

I am sure each system has it's pluses and minuses - as said "different
horses for different courses."

steve

--
NU5D - Nickel Under Five Dollars