At 07:47 AM 8/12/2010, you wrote:

>  hand the breaking station knows what repeater or ham call he is
> trying to reach with call sign routing.  (and if by a pc on the
> internet looking at <http://dstarusers.org>dstarusers.org know who
> is occupying what repeater).

Assuming they have Internet access.  We can't assume this.  They
might be a mobile station, so we have to assume that many of the
contacts are "blind" when using callsign routing.

>I have never played with IRLP or Echolink but in 30 years of PMR /
>Land Mobile service I have seen some of the very best and also some
>of the very worst amateur linked systems in terms of audio levels,
>quality, noise and distortion.  Dstar seems to be consistent in that
>stations are all

Well, you get that mix with IRLP and Echolink as well, from audio
almost as good as a hardwired link, to lousy. :)

>pretty much equal in loudness and there is no white noise / crackle,
>etc.  Instead we have loss of sync beyond forward error correction's
>ability to fill in the blanks.  R2D2, so to speak.

However, this is beside the point.  The thread was about the relative
"intrusiveness" of callsign routing vs linking.

>For me, a hybrid of linking and callsign routing works best.  One
>size doesn't fit all.
>
>I am sure each system has it's pluses and minuses - as said
>"different horses for different courses."

Yep, agree 100% on this one, and I'm happy to use both (when I can -
out here, direct RF access is quite limited, so restricted to DPlus
most of the time these days by the available technology).

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com