Adam Leventhal wrote:
There doesn't seem to be any Dtrace hooks for monitoring ddi put/get.

Yes, it's because they're leaf routines without standard prologues (for speed).
I've often wanted them too, but that's why they're not instrumented.

Is there actually a compelling reason for these to be so highly optimized?
Do drivers call these in the hot path or could we safely force them to be
instrumentable?

These routines are the lowest-level ddi-compliant way to do actual device I/O. There are drivers that bypass them, of course, as there will always be, but for a compliant, portable driver, they are the "inner loop"; that's why so much has been put into making them as lightweight as possible.

hotpatching might well be a reasonable option.