Title: signature
Hello,
I have a customer who has some dtrace questions.  I am guessing that someone knows the answer to these, so I am asking here.  Here are the questions:

**********
In this document, we will describe how we assume that DTrace uses its memory. Most assumptions result from [1]. We want these assumptions to be validated by a DTrace expert from Oracle. This validation is necessary to provide us confidence that DTrace can execute for a long period of time (in the order of weeks) along with our software, without introducing errors due to e.g. “dynamic variable drops”. In addition, we described a problem we experience with our DTrace script, for which we want to have support from you.

[1] Sun Microsystems inc, “Solaris Dynamic Tracing Guide”, September 2008.
Quotes from Solaris Dynamic Tracing Guide [1], with interpretation:
•    “Each time the variable self->read is referenced in your D program, the data object referenced is the one associated with the operating system thread that was executing when the corresponding DTrace probe fired.”
o    Interpretation: Per CPU there is a dispatcher that has its own thread, when it executes the sched:::on-cpu and sched:::off probes.
•    “At that time, the ring buffer is consumed and processed. dtrace processes each ring buffer in CPU order. Within a CPU's buffer, trace records will be displayed in order from oldest to youngest.”
Interpretation: There is a principal buffer per CPU

1) Impact on Business
We have a number of assumptions that we would like to verify about DTrace.

2) What is the OS version and the kernel patch level of the system?
SunOS nlvdhe321 5.10 Generic_141444-09 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5240

3) What is the Firmware level of the system?
SP firmware 3.0.10.2.b
SP firmware build number: 56134
SP firmware date: Tue May 25 13:02:56 PDT 2010
SP filesystem version: 0.1.22
Thanks

Scott Shurr
| Solaris and Network Domain, Global Systems Support
Email: scott.sh...@oracle.com
Phone: 781-442-1352
Oracle Global Customer Services

Log, update, and monitor your Service Request online using My Oracle Support