on 11/18/00 4:15 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have the chance to pick up a duo 280c with 24 MBs RAM and a 500 MB Hd,
> (don't know the installed OS) and an nternal 14.4 modem.
>
> Question:
> Is this still a viable machine for writing and doing email on the road?
>
> (I would load Word 5, IE 4.5 and Nisus emailer onto it, probably add
> RamDoubler)
>
> Please reply here on on the best9and friendliest) list I have encountered on
> the web.
>
> Pete

It is unusual to find one with a bigger than 320 MB HD, so I'd snap that
puppy up!!  You can't go wrong with RAM Doubler.  I've got Office 4.2.1, RAM
Doubler, OS 8.1, and the latest '040 version of Netscape (v 4.0.8, I think)
{Yeah, yukky Netscape, it may have it's quirks, but it's what the kids were
used to using at school, and the first Duo I set up was to send to college
w/ the daughter, so I just copied the HD to mine to save time.}

As has been pointed out, IE 4.5 won't run w/o a PPC.  For e-mail on the
road, you should find the 14.4 modem adequate, as long as there are no
massive attachments.

- Eric.