Sidney Ho wrote:

>disk driver (in)compatibilities (mainly 3rd party), systems losing
>their "blessing", are also issues that can cause boot failures or
>worse.

>My brand new 2400 died the first day...Apple/Rochester...it's been
>OK ever since but I worry about free play too.

>I've inspected the soldering connection of the SCSI port to the MB
>and it actually looks reasonably strong. It flexes because it sits
>perpendicular to the MB.

>SCSI voodoo can really be due to any (or any number) of reasons.
>
>If anyone hot plugs SCSI, they and the computer deserve to fry. Definitely
>an unequivocal no-no!

Sidney,

Great comments, thanks. Interesting insights into the internals of the socket.

Yes, good to reiterate the final bit - that one doesn't seem to as
known as it should be.

DIsk driver incompatibilities...hmmm. Shall have to think about that
one. In one of my crashes though they were identical original 2400s,
one SCSI-drived to the other. The crash occured during backing up
proceedure. But elsewhere, this may explain things.

Regards,

Marc