on 16/01/01 14:40, Noah Kravitz at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Okay, so I asked the original question in this thread -- and thank you all
> for your answers -- and now I have a follow up, the $64K question if you
> will ...
>
> I found a cheap USB to Serial adaptor for sale on ebay ... The thinking is
> I can hook it up to my G4, hence giving it a serial port, and then run an
> appletalk cable from the G4's "Serial" port to the serial modem/printer
> port on the Duo 230 ... Will this work for file sharing?  Has anyone tried
> it?  Please say yes so I can buy it and back my files up :-)  Outside of
> that, I'm also looking at an AsanteTalk Ether Print adaptor box to do
> bascially the same thing via Ethernet, which seems a safer bet
>
> Many Thanks in Advance

I'm not sure if it's a mistake, but you won't be able to use an AppleTalk
cable to connect your serial adaptor. A USB-to-serial is what it says it is:
a serial connection, not a network one. So, you won't be able to file share
using this. Your only option is the EtherPrint. Then, you'll be able to use
AppleTalk on the 230's side, and EtherTalk on the G4's side. You will need a
LocalTalk connector for your 230 to plug the AppleTalk cable in it and
another one for your EtherPrint, unless it comes with one. I know, I have an
AsanteTalk, which is pretty much the same thing. If I were you, I would try
to find an Asante Mini or Micro EN/SC, that provides Ethernet to your 230
through its SCSI port. Then, using an Ethernet crossover cable, you will be
able to connect the EN/SC directly to your G4, no hub required, although
they are nice to have and about $20-$30. You would get a much better
performance, even though the 230 won't be able, through its SCSI port, to
deliver the 10Mbits (much less 100Mbits!) that the G4 can take.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]