on 13/02/01 12:54, Ron at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> My ISP just started offering DSL and have gotta get it!
>
> I'm told a network PC card is needed...what cards are people using in
> their Powerbooks?
>
> Also, if I should ever want to connect to the building owner's LAN in
> the apartment building, (and have DSL without paying for it, though
> I'm not quite sold on that idea yet), some software is needed so the
> server PC recognizes my Powerbook. Dave? Double Talk?

If you're talking about Duo PowerBooks, then you will need whether an
EtherDock or an Asante Mini or Micro EN/SC. The EtherDock can be expensive
($100 on eBay). It provides I think an AAUI port. So, depending on your
cabling, you will need an adapter for the network, usually a 10BaseT. Asante
used to sell them and you will often find them under the name "FriendlyNet".
The other, cheaper way, to get your Duo on an Ethernet network is by using a
Micro or Mini EN/SC. This was, again, made by Asante. The Micro EN/SC was
specifically designed for a PowerBook. It takes its power from the ADB port,
while the Mini EN/SC uses an external adapter. A final option I was about to
forget is a DuoDock. I think the DuoDock has also an AAUI port, so you would
need a FriendlyNet adapter for the type of cabling you're going to use. All
that stuff is available on eBay.

Regarding your last question about the PC server, it depends on what you
want to do. "Dave" will be good if you're planning to exchange files with a
PC. If you just want to go on the Internet, you don't need anything, and the
PC server doesn't need anything either. A cheaper way to exchange files with
a PC is through the Unix File Transfer Protocol (AKA FTP). If the PC server
can act as an FTP server, then you only need an FTP client on your Duo, like
Fetch.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]