Eric L. Strobel said at Ò[Duo2400] Re: browser cacheÓ.
[2001/02/27 07:07]

> on 2/27/01 9:56 AM, Greg at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > Over the years I have come to the conclusion that Netscape (most if not
> > all versions) is faster if you turn the disk cache OFF by reducing its
> > size to 0. I have measured "before and after" on many occasions and the
> > cache always slows it down. The only way I can see that the Netscape
> > disk cache might be an advantage would be if you had a slow modem and
> > spent most of your browsing going to the same websites. But my
> > experience doesn't even show an improvement in that scenario.
> >
> > My thinking is this... with the cache enabled, the computer has to look
> > on the disk for every image or other "cacheable" item that comes in.
> > This takes time. Also, the computer has to write a copy, to the cache
> > file, of every cacheable item that comes in, even though much of it will
> > never be used again ( I'm not going to that website again or will have
> > changed by the next time I go there). This takes time. Another side
> > benefit of having NO browser disk cache is that you don't have to listen
> > to the disk clicking and clunking so busily. Netscape keeps a lot of
> > stuff in RAM cache (very fast) such that using the Back or Forward
> > button is not enhanced using the disk cache.
> >
> > I am curious to know of other peoples experience and opinion on this
> > subject. Hope I am not too far off topic!
> > Greg
> >

> Tell me, in your experience, does this eliminate that extremely irritating
> habit of NS to d/l & render the page and then when done rendering, BLANK
> THE
> SCREEN AND RERENDER THE ENTIRE PAGE AT THE SAME GLACIAL PACE???  (As you
> can
> tell, it get a bit worked up by this behavior.)
>
> - Eric.

Hi,

New to this list. Super informative so far... Regarding the big blink in
Netscape, there was a hack buried deep within ResExcellence (http://
www.resexcellence.com/) to stop that behavior with ResEdit. Check the
previous edits section first.

James