>   I am considering purchasing Norton Utilities 4.0  as well as  Norton
>Anti-Virus 5.0 . Please forgive me for asking what must be to you all a
>really simple question:  Are these Norton software programs recommended
>for this computer?

Both work fine for me.

But the best HD repairing app hands down is Alsoft's DiskWarrior.
Your hard drive will be about 20 percent faster after DiskWarrior
rebuilds the directory file. And it's cheap. And it will still fit in
a floppy in these days of bloatware. Every Macintosh user should have
a copy.