Dear Kate,

>  I am considering purchasing Norton Utilities 4.0  as well as  Norton
>Anti-Virus 5.0 . Please forgive me for asking what must be to you all a
>really simple question:  Are these Norton software programs recommended
>for this computer?
I don't know what others would recommend, but here are my opinions:

1.   Steer clear of Norton. I have messed up one hard drive with it.
2.   Get DiskWarrior and DiskOptimizer instead. Very, very reliable,
fast, automatic and efficient.
3.   You don't need an anti-virus program. As long as you don't use MS
Office, you should be fine. I've never seen a virus in 12 years of heavy
Mac use. I'm sure they exist, but on a Mac they are so rare as to be not
worth bothering about. And if you use Claris Emailer, an older but, IMO
far superior email program to anything else available, you avoid MS and
the viruses which come through Outlook Express.

Yours sincerely,

John Davis