Duo/2400 List wrote...

>Subject: [Duo2400] Re: Booting from a Flash RAM PCMCIA card
>From: Sidney Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>on 4/21/01 Bob Friede wrote:
>> I have been using Type II cards for some years now. They will boot any
>> p'book with pcmcia slots. (Don't know about the G4's though.) I have a
>> 150MB for 68K machines and a 220MB for PPC's. Both are SanDisk cards,
>> originally formatted for PC but your Mac can initialize them with no
>> trouble at all. (Only thing is, you can't ever use them for flash memory
>> again without sending them back to the manufacturer first.) Can't beat no
>> moving parts when you're on the road! Of course, they're not as fast as a
>> real HD but as utility gadgets, they're fine.
>> Pricey new though.
>
>I use both Type II 220mb Sandisk flash cards (PC formatted) and Type III HDs
>separately formatted for both PC / Mac.
[snip]
>But I do dream of being able to run a nearly 1gb ram disk with a 1gb flash
>to 4gb Microdrive (coming from IBM) at minimum power in flight--just for the
>heck of it. Battery life could be extended to 8-10 hours?

I finally got the 1gb microdrive from ibm last fall and immediately
retired the Sandisk 220 from emergency startup chores. I love the micro.
I would have bought the less expensive 500MB model instead though had
they come out with it at the same time.

>Sidney Ho
>Greetings from snowy Switzerland--we have over a foot of snow today knocking
>cherry blossoms off of the trees and it's falling into tomorrow. I'm stuck
>on a mountainside with summer tires and no way down from this freak storm
>(and my neighbors' palm trees will be suffering too). So all this extra
>time...

There's always yodeling... ;-)

RE: PlusMaker/PlusMaximizer, I found that the resulting tiny block size
slowed Speed Disk down to the snail's pace of TTP and so I ended up
reformatting back to the standard 4k.

Bob F