On 5/23/01 12:11, The Mad Macinchaote at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote;

> Hi all. I got some new ram to install in my 1400 cs, but I'm having a bit of
> a problem. The kb doesn't want to come up to be flipped back like it shows
> in the manual. Is it normal for it to be a bit "stubborn"? I'm used to
> working in desktops, but this is my first time getting into the guts of a
> laptop. There are directions in the manual so I feel pretty comfortable
> opening it up myself, I just can't get the keyboard out of the way like it
> shows. Any advice?

Although this is off topic...

Slide the speaker grille off by lifting the left edge as much as you can and
then pulling to the left (an "up and out" motion).

You will see the speaker on the left and a black metal panel (heat sink) on
the right.  Between the black metal panel and the silver keyboard frame,
there is a gap of about a 1/4", with a few spring-like clips at odd
intervals.  If you can't pull the keyboard up with your fingernails, get a
small screwdriver, wrap it in tissue so it doesn't scratch, and put it in
the gap. Then push the screwdriver back, towards the screen, effectively
prying up on the keyboard frame.

When the keyboard is loose, tilt it forward towards the trackpad while
lifting it out.  Don't pull it right you lest you break the ribbon cable.
You will see the PC card cage, the HD, and the two screws you need to take
out to get at the RAM.

BTW, you should really be on the PowerBook forum at
<www.themacintoshguy.com> for this kind of question -- I just happen to be
typing on my 1400c/133.

HTH,

Shiva Mayer