This is the same issue I was having with an external SCSI hard
drive on my 2300. After long discussions about it with list
members I've decided that it must be due to the use of an A/C
adapter which is intended for a 2xx series Duo instead of for
the 2300. The adapter for the 2300 is unique and has a higher
output. I believe that the less powerfull 2xx adapter runs the
2300 just fine, but perhaps causes the voltage to be just a
little too low for the proper SCSI termination. The termination
is very sensitive to voltage due to the use of a low termination
resistance to maximize battery life.

Kris Feldmann