on 8/9/01 1:59 PM, Kris Feldmann at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This is the same issue I was having with an external SCSI hard
> drive on my 2300. After long discussions about it with list
> members I've decided that it must be due to the use of an A/C
> adapter which is intended for a 2xx series Duo instead of for
> the 2300. The adapter for the 2300 is unique and has a higher
> output. I believe that the less powerfull 2xx adapter runs the
> 2300 just fine, but perhaps causes the voltage to be just a
> little too low for the proper SCSI termination. The termination
> is very sensitive to voltage due to the use of a low termination
> resistance to maximize battery life.

This seems a little far fetched to me. If the Duo can power the termination
sufficiently on Battery power, the the 2xx series AC Adapter should work
just fine. The battery only provides enough juice to run the machine, while
the AC adapter provides enought to run the machine **and** charge the
battery. Maybe there is a loose connection, a short to the case stiffener,
or a lack of contact with the same stiffener.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend a specific course of action, but I have
serious doubts that it is the AC adapter.

Tom

PS: What SCSI dock are you using? Newer, Apple, or E-machines? (or other?)