The only value in v2 in your case might simply be that
that is what Apple is maintaining and updating, and
who knows when they're going to tell you that
Rendezvous only works on the v2 base station or
something like that. Some of the older v1 base
stations also have the problem of dying between 12 and
18 months due to heat problems (though Apple has been
good to some people, including me, about replacing
them even out of warranty). v1 certainly offers
significant firewall protection, as any router
performing NAT does -- you'd have to specifically
forward ports to your computer for the outside world
to get in. I don't know if v2 offers anything extra in
this regard. And you are correct, you don't need any
Airport software, only the drivers that come with it.

Both 40 and 128 bit are crackable for someone
determined to do it, so I'd say I wouldn't get real
excited about not being able to do 128 bit. As far as
I know the Skyline card works with either base station
but it itself as you say can only do 40 bit. I myself
don't even use any encryption because of the
performance hit (I can get 300 KB/sec down on my cable
modem without, but only 200 if encryption is turned
on). I instead create a closed network, in which you
need to know the name of the base station in advance;
it doesn't advertise itself. (I've noticed this
feature seems to be absent on many other wireless
routers I've seen, so that's at least one reason to go
Apple.) Of course, someone could still sniff packets,
but I figure with a 150-ft range, at best, I'm not
going to sweat it.

Ivan.

<http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/DuoListFAQ.shtml>

http://finance.yahoo.com