On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Michael Riepe wrote:

> Cengiz Gunay wrote:
> > However if I remove its first 5MB (the exact cut point did not matter), it
> > starts working.
>
> Huh? Does it find a PMT entry in that case?

Even removing 1MB was enough. I remember that it no longer said that it
has to "guess" the audio stream. Does that mean it found a valid PMT?

> > Mplayer starts playing the audio from the beginning. But I am not sure if
> > the audio stream is missing at the very beginning. Maybe dvbcut can look
> > ahead if the stream cannot be recognized at the very beginning?
>
> It does already. Of course we could make it try harder, but that would
> also increase the time that is needed to open a file. And that's already
> rather long if the file resides on a network server or USB disk.

I see.

> The obvious solution is to scan for PAT/PMT segments and audio streams
> while the file is indexed - we have to read the whole file for that
> anyway -, probe unknown and hidden streams for well-known data patterns,
> and store the information gathered that way in the index file for later use.

This may be worthwhile, because if the file contains multiple PIDs, the
user may want to select them. But then again, this may not be dvbcut's
job. Another utility (?) can be used to filter the PIDs.

If you're planning to rewrite the whole thing it may be worth considering
adding an extension for scripting. If you write the C programs with a good
interface (such as SWIG; swig.org), they can be easily called from a
scripting language (such as python, perl, etc.). This will simplify the
development for making the GUI, etc.

Cengiz Gunay
--
cgu...@emory.edu  cengi...@users.sf.net (MSN)   cengi...@gmail.com
Lab: +1-404-727-3565    Home/Cell: +1-678-559-8694