Hi!

Cengiz Gunay wrote:

> Even removing 1MB was enough. I remember that it no longer said that it
> has to "guess" the audio stream. Does that mean it found a valid PMT?

I suppose so.

[...]
>>The obvious solution is to scan for PAT/PMT segments and audio streams
>>while the file is indexed - we have to read the whole file for that
>>anyway -, probe unknown and hidden streams for well-known data patterns,
>>and store the information gathered that way in the index file for later use.
>

> This may be worthwhile, because if the file contains multiple PIDs, the
> user may want to select them. But then again, this may not be dvbcut's
> job. Another utility (?) can be used to filter the PIDs.

You can already select an audio track for playing, and disable tracks
before you export the file. In fact, you can disable them all (that
happened to me once, and I wondered for hours where the audio had gone).

> If you're planning to rewrite the whole thing it may be worth considering
> adding an extension for scripting. If you write the C programs with a good
> interface (such as SWIG; swig.org), they can be easily called from a
> scripting language (such as python, perl, etc.). This will simplify the
> development for making the GUI, etc.

I wouldn't say that I'm "planning". Well, I would like to, but I lack
the time, like most of us.

If I had to, however, I would concentrate on the core functionality, put
it in a (C/C++) library, write a command line wrapper for indexing and
exporting, and let other people deal with the graphic interface(s).
Well, maybe I would write one myself, but definitely not based on Qt.
And I would definitely leave all the fancy stuff - themes and such - to
others. It's not my world - I'd rather write FORTRAN code for a living.

--
Michael "Tired" Riepe <mich...@mr511.de>