I was working on this before the change of administration.

Vector types have been around for a very long time and compilers use them but are not handled in the DWARF standard right on DWARF5. I think that this was basically something that was overlooked and no one filed an issue to get it addressed in the standard.

There are two different proposals about how to handle them and I believe that the committee should discuss the two options and then decide a course of action.

At the bottom of this email is my proposal. I will admit that in its current state it is a work in progress. My original intent was to simply codify the existing behavior as implemented by GCC and LLVM (and probably other compilers) moving it from a vendor attribute to something that was in the standard. However, at the time I was working with Tony Tye and the people at AMD on one of their proposals toto better support GPUs and this involved a lot of work on the DWARF stack and the operations done within them. This led me to realize a problem with my initial proposal and that was that it didn't consider the impacts on the DWARF stack operations. I reworked my proposal to include changes in that area of the standard. Essentially it adds language to all operations that were limited to a base type now would also work on a vector type of a base type. Tony raised an objection to this and argued that handling vector types on the DWARF stack was not necessary. I have not put in the time to really come up with a counter example to that assertion. He may be correct. I'm personally not sure. No current compiler that I am aware of actually generates DWARF that makes use of the DWARF stack with vector types. My intuition is that there may be a case related to scatter gather where it could be useful to make use vector registers on the DWARF stack.

Tony Tye has a different proposal. https://github.com/t-tye/dwarf-locations/blob/main/014-vector-base-types.txt

His proposal basically amounts to make vector types base types. I can't say that I disagree with that overall approach. My concerns are:

1. It breaks with existing behavior.
2. It would greatly increase the number of base types for a platform. I
   think that it would be the combinatorial expansion of all the
   available encodings and the architecture's available vector lengths.
3. There is an interaction between the Platform Specific ABI and the
   base types for an architecture. I'm not sure but I think that the PS
   ABI for the various architectures might need revision given this
   change. Given how many architectures there are
4. It would immediately allow the large vector registers on the DWARF
   stack and I fear that some DWARF stack implementations which are
   currently based on a platform's size of an INT would break. Some
   architecture's vector registers could be as large as 2048b.
5. I don't know how it will deal with hardware implementation variable
   vector lengths like ARM's SVE or RISC-V RVV. Just for reference for
   people who may not know this is a quick intro to SVE

https://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/ookami/support/_docs/3%20-%20Intro%20to%20SVE.pdf

Anyway, my biggest concern is that in the DWARF6 process vector register types get standardized. In general I have come to respect Tony as a very thoughtful architect, so I would not be upset if his proposal were accepted over mine. I would just like to make sure that the concerns that I've pointed out above are considered.

----------------------------------

Vector registers

It has been the long standing existing practice to treat hardware
vector registers as arrays of a fundamental base type. To deliniate
these hardware register arrays from arrays in the language source they
have been given the DW_AT_GNU_vector attribute. This proposal simply
standardizes the existing behavior.

In Section 2.2 Attribute Types, DW_AT_vector and
DW_AT_variable_vector_width shall be added to Table 2.2

    DW_AT_vector                | A hardware vector register
    DW_AT_variable_vector_width | Array bound for hardware
                                | implementation defined vector register
                                | width

The hyperlink in the "Identifies or Specifies" column shall point to
the paragraph added to Section 5.5 below for DW_AT_vector and the
paragraph added to Section 5.13 below for
DW_AT_variable_vector_width.

In Section 2.5.1.2 Register values replace the description of
DW_OP_regval_type with the following:

    The DW_OP_regval_type operation provides the contents of a given
    register interpreted as a value of a given type. The first operand
    is an unsigned LEB128 number, which identifies a register whose
    contents is to be pushed onto the stack. The second operand is an
    unsigned LEB128 number that represents the offset of a debugging
    information entry in the current compilation unit, which must be a
    DW_TAG_base_type entry that provides the type of the value
    contained in the specified register or it must be an
    DW_TAG_array_type with a DW_AT_vector attribute.

    [non-normative] A DW_TAG_array_type with a DW_AT_vector attribute
    is the way that a vector register is specified and can be
    considered a base type for the architecture.

In Section 2.5.1.3 Stack Operations replace the description of
DW_OP_deref_type with the following:

    The DW_OP_deref_type operation behaves like the DW_OP_deref_size
    operation: it pops the top stack entry and treats it as an
    address. The popped value must have an integral type. The value
    retrieved from that address is pushed together with a type
    identifier. In the DW_OP_deref_type operation, the size in bytes
    of the data retrieved from the dereferenced address is specified
    by the first operand. This operand is a 1-byte unsigned integral
    constant whose value which is the same as the size of the type
    referenced by the second operand. The second operand is an
    unsigned LEB128 integer that represents the offset of a debugging
    information entry in the current compilation unit that provides
    the type of the data pushed. This entry must be either a
    DW_TAG_base_type entry or a DW_TAG_array_type entry with a
    DW_AT_vector attribute.

Replace the description of DW_OP_xderef_type with the following:

    The DW_OP_xderef_type operation behaves like the DW_OP_xderef_size
    operation: it pops the top two stack entries, treats them as an
    address and an address space identifier, and pushes the value
    retrieved. In the DW_OP_xderef_type operation, the size in bytes
    of the data retrieved from the dereferenced address is specified
    by the first operand. This operand is a 1-byte unsigned integral
    constant whose value value is the same as the size of the type
    referenced by the second operand. The second operand is an
    unsigned LEB128 integer that represents the offset of a debugging
    information entry in the current compilation unit that provides
    the type of the data pushed. This entry must be a DW_TAG_base_type
    entry or a DW_TAG_array_type entry with a DW_AT_vector attribute.

In Section 5.5 Array Type Entries, replace first paragraph of
non-normative text with:

    [non-normative] Many languages share the concept of an “array,”
    which is a table of components of identical type. Furthermore,
    many architectures contain vector registers which mirror the
    language concept of an array.

Insert the following paragraph between the first paragraph of
normative text describing DW_TAG_array_type and the second paragraph
dealing with multidimensional ordering.

    An array type that refers to a hardware vector register, shall be
    denoted with DW_AT_vector. The the width of the register shall be
    specified as an array dimension and the type contained within the
    register must be a DW_TAG_base_type entry.

In Section 5.13 Subrange Type Entries insert the following paragraph
between the paragraph defining DW_AT_threads_scaled and the one
defining DW_AT_lower_bound and DW_AT_upper_bound.

    The subrange entry may have a DW_AT_variable_vector_width
    attribute, which is a flag. If present, this attriburte indicates
    that the width of a vector is defined by the hardware
    implementation of the target. The actual width of the vector
    registers can be determined at runtime but is unknown at compile
    time.