Ken, while I agree that what KK5DO is doing with the P5 'incoming received' list is a
great plus, I've been asked to do the same.  I don't know what Bruce is handling, but
my guess is it is substantially lower than what some other managers handle.

This is not for you Ken, what follows, as I know you manage cards, HI...but thought
some may find this useful!

I also have talked with Garth several times over the last bit...and know he's busting
his butt pushing the cards out.  HOwever, I think the sheer numbers, even if it was a
full time job, is the major reason for the timing of cards coming out.  I give him a
heck of a lot of credit for what he has been able to do.

As for the 'sort by donation'....I think that is as logical of a sort as anyone can
make based on the level of cards he has coming in.  I've had some claim 'first
in/first out' is the most fair method....etc.  I've also seen folks say, I should have
my 'YA5T card' because I worked him the same day as Joe, and Joe has his.   Sorry, it
doesn't work this way in general...for a lot of reasons.  First, what does first
in/first out mean when you get a 1000 envelopes each day, and pick up once every 3
days...HI.  Second, lets say I send someone $50......two days after the operation
ends.  What if my card comes back near the tail end of the direct cards being sent.
Is that fair?

I'm doing a fairly exhaustive analysis of what I do...although I'm not sure some folks
really care.  I look back at 20 years ago.  DXpeditions perhaps didn't run up the Q's.
 but managers or dxpediditons did this ALL BY HAND.  Whats changed, and why are we now
in the hurry.  It's forums such as this....I get on the QSL reflector, pound my chest,
and say I've just got my VP6DI card for a all time new one.  Everyone sets their
clocks...and then start bitching when their card doesnt come in within the week.  Or,
they start criticizing the way the manager chooses to prioritize the mailing.

Each manager that I know of, for the most part, is dedicated to getting the cards out.
 If postage is provided, direct returns.  Direct usually take first priority...and
lastly, bureau cards.  But, from the time the first card comes out.....till the last
one, in a 50-100K qso operation IS NOT GOING TO BE A WEEK, LIKELY NOT A MONTH....

Some ask why don't you just print all the QSOs on labels and just slap them on and
issue them ...a process that has been done with other dxpeditions, especially at the
'qsl handouts' at Dayton.  This is not a practice I subscribe to, and refuse to
do....it is quite flawed, and has the likelihood that I'll hand out QSOs that were not
worked, or a band/mode error.  For example, on one operation I handle...all the 40ssb
qsos for a short period (one log page) were logged in the computer as 80cw.  Now, had
I handed that card to you, would you have given it back and said, I didn't work the 80
QSO.  If you would....I'm proud of you....

I've been tempted with BQ9P to answer them at my own pace, and when ALL DIRECT cards
were done, take one major dump to the post office.  Everyone's is mailed the same day.
 THis solves the 'Joe has his, where the heck is mine!' emails and reflector
postings.....but is that fair (not to mention the number of tubs of Mail I'd have
gathering dust.  As you can see, I chose to NOT do that.....the cards are going out.

OK..back to the cards.  The VAST MAJORITY of hams are very courteous, friendly folks
that seem to have a good understanding and appreciation of what we do as managers.  A
very small few tend to shoot the messanger.....often in a forum that does not allow
for direct feedback.   If you have a problem, ask the manager, don't discredit his/her
work on a forum such as this or a packet cluster.

My FAVORITE posting on the clusters lately....and I quote without callsign

figure a 2 year turn around if mng is ku9c

Now, that MAY be true in an instance or two.  SOme of the guys I handle I have a heck
of a time getting logs from...and I can't confirm without them.  However, the calls
are rare...and often needed band/modes, so I do my best.  BUt I ask you, after reading
that, is THAT YOUR EXPERIENCE with KU9C?  If so, let me know.  If not, you can see how
it might feel to a manager.

Now the REAL question, what do I do with the next QSL from this guy?  I don't hold a
grudge, so it will get answered.....but....

Enuf...back to the cards....

By the way, just as a matter of interest, if you've gotten this far, you're either
interested, or glutton for punishment!

My largest single day of incoming envelopes:  2,614, recorded on March 5, 2002 (early
weeks are the big days due to incoming DX mail.  Try doing that first in first out,
and figure out how long that much takes to open!

My best single day mailing out....about 390 envelopes....including 3 cent stamps added
on, and about 1300 QSOs.

have fun doing the math!

73

Steve Wheatley KU9C