Gotta say, I am a new (44 year old) kid that lurks on this reflector and have been working on my CW since I got my HF ticket about two years ago. I can now poop along in the 15 to 20 WPM range and understand what is coming at me at about that speed too, so I'm doing OK and slowly getting better.

For the almost the first full year after I was on the HF bands I would hang out in the 40 meter novice section and QSO with other slow pokes. The thought of going down to 7050 or 7030 was terrifying -- and below 7025 was out of the question. Even today, I'm on my "best behavior" down in the extra segment and try like crazy not to embarrass myself when chasing the odd DX or what-not down there.

So I think it is perfectly fine to expect a reasonable level of competency when someone keys in that segment. I also think grossly incorrect QSL information is inexcusable and a 4 WPM character speed is undecipherable!

True, there may be some handicap there, but general cluelessness is the more likely case.

That said, I would not have known what "AS" means either -- it is a traffic prosign and I just don't hear it on the air in regular QSO. (On the plus side, I know it now!) The FCC only tests on DN, AR, SK and BT. I'm also not sure I would have understood T9 either (depends on context), though I may well have figured it out -- I would not expect _you_ to be telling _me_ about your own tone without more explanation than can reasonably be done at 4 WPM.

de, thks, gn, ge, tu, cut numbers, Q-codes -- these your hear a lot and figure out quickly. (Well, cut numbers besides "T" threw me the first time I contested, but...)

So yes, on these two more obscure behaviors and idioms I think a little "ole crusty Extra" is, in fact, showing. Least that's the view from these "fresh eyes," FWIW.

73

-- Ward / KG6HAF

P.S. No one ever answered Steve Glibert's, G3OAG, query on 3/26 about whether QSL cards for WAS have to indicate 2-way (2X) or not to be good for the award. Since I just QSO'd my last state today for WAS CW, and I have a "creative" card to two without this specified, I'm interested in the answer to this too.