Perhaps Ed realised that people wading in with hob-nailed boots may have
upset the very delicate situation?  Remember that he spent several years
carefully persuading the NK military and had spent a lot of time
building up relationships.  Sometimes when someone without the requisite
diplomatic skills wades in, those who have been carefully talked into
agreement begin to either lose their nerve (after all, they had stuck
their necks out in a land where that's not encouraged) or go back into
their entrenched "anti" stance and follow the rule book.  I would
imagine that soldiers in a particularly nasty military dictatorship
would react this way!

I don't know if Ed knew YT1AD and friends from Adam before they visited
NK.  I'm sure that they're good guys - indeed when I've spoken to Hrane
he seems like a nice and knowledgeable chap - but maybe Ed didn't want
to take any chances.  Maybe they did screw things up for him as he had
his permission revoked not long after that?

On the subject of Yemen, I worked 7O/OH2YY in May 2002 - and that was
accepted by ARRL.  Does anyone know what OH2YY did differently to the
7O1YGF gang?  Perhaps he knew the right people, both in Yemen and
Newington?  I believe he was there to work, rather than for a
Dxpedition, and since the Arab world works on a basis of "you scratch my
back and I'll scratch yours" (some people call it other things) maybe
that made the difference?

Perhaps OH2YY knew the right people at ARRL.  A few years ago G3VMW and
I were planning a trip to Somalia which never happened - when we
approached the ARRL to find out what permission would be needed and from
whom, they were most obstructive and unhelpful.  Because there was (and
still is) no central government in Somalia they just didn't seem
interested in exploring other possibilities.  Interestingly they now
give approval to just about anyone who's got a scrap of paper from
anyone who calls themselves an authority in Somalia - exactly what they
said they wouldn't do for us.  How does that differ from the mess
described in this thread?  Maybe I should have said I was OH2BH - do you
think the answers may have been different?

As Ron correctly says "Hey folks, it's just DX" - why are ARRL so anal
about all this permission stuff.  Weren't 7O1YGF THERE?  Wasn't
VU4/VU2JPS THERE?  Weren't 7O1A THERE?  What bloody difference does a
scrap of paper from some little power crazed jerk in a peaked cap make?
Remember all the rubbish around BS7H? If ARRL want rules, they should
obey them in a consistent manner, not pick and choose on the basis of
who they know and how they feel that day.  If they'd done that, then
there wouldn't be this debate.

Ah, that's better.  Now I've got that off my chest, I'll have a nice
Sunday :-)

73

Dave G0OIL