Charlie,

> I think any US ham should send any DX ham FIVE US DOLLARS
> freely if he wants a card back.  Can we be so cheap otherwise?
> No one is gonna get rich at ham radio, believe me.
>
> If u disagree with me, please walk in the shoes of DX ops of
> modest means; then decide.  73

I doubt that anyone is going to complain about a little bit
extra to help out "needy" hams in the most underdeveloped
countries.  However, this thread started because a VK manager
refuses to handle bureau cards and is asking for a $2 premium
above the $2 (actually $1.35 US at current exchange rates) is
actually costs to return a card.

For managers in Europe, VK/ZL, the USA, VE ... even some of
the leading "developing nations" of South America to behave
that way is unacceptable.  Not every DX-er is "made of money"
- many even in the USA are retired and on fixed incomes.
The "round trip" cost of a traditional QSL (card, two envelopes,
postage, two "green stamps") is more than $3.00 and that's not
a throw away for some.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV (ex K4IK)