Part 2, the stoiry continues

From:                   "Jerry Keller - K3BZ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                     "\(Reflector\) DX-NEWS" <dx-news@njdxa.org>
Subject:                [DX-NEWS] Packet Cluster Problems: K1TTT's Response
Date sent:              Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:05:56 -0500

The other source of #cqdx spots are from dxsummit (see
http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/)  and I think a couple other web
cluster sources (mostly for vhf spots I think).  Again, n6rt's
software grabs those spots and puts them into the #cqdx irc channel,
at this point they are identified by the -@ ssid which you will see
on
the dxsummit site for spots put in from the web interface.
Unfortunately some cluster nodes don't like this ssid so it has to be
stripped before those spots are put into the normal cluster network,
this is done in the ar-cluster software.  Ar-cluster also contains
it's own dxsummit spot collector, this is delayed even more and only
checks the site every couple of minutes so those collected spots are
usually blocked as dupes from other sources.  However at times when
#cqdx is down or there are other connection problems those may be
seen
on the backbone as coming from nodes like 'web/xxxxxx'.

Now that you know where the spots come from and how they are
identified, on to the next step... tracking them.  This is something
that I have published after every major contest for the last couple
of
years on cq-contest where mal frequently complains about packet use
in
contests.  When dxsummit started it was pretty much stand alone, then
came the #cqdx and ar-cluster and other user logging programs that
accessed it and allowed automatic posting of spots there.  Then some
of the troublemakers who for obvious reasons like to stay anonymous
found out that they could post comments there that couldn't be
traced.
 While the admins there did lock out some calls and added some
filters, that would not stop determined disrupters... it never has
and
never will, lock someone out of the cluster system or filter their
favorite words and they will find another way to get in, and they
have
taught email spammers some lessons on how to change spelling just
enough to bypass filters, witness how many ways you see c.i,al,i.s
spelled in your spam filtered mail every day!  Those are the types we
are up against... the anonymous cluster spammers.

Enough of that, back to the story... Remember that call from the
secret service?  Well, the source of the threats they were tracking
was from dxsummit and that the only way to track them was to get the
server logs from there.  Well, best I can tell some administrators of
dxsummit must have had some calls from someone who got a call from
someone who must have gotten a call from the secret service... a few
days later an ip tracking page showed up on dxsummit.  You can see it
at: http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/dxsinput.html As soon as this page
showed up and got some press coverage in the contest community there
was a rapid drop in abuses during contests where contest cheaters
were
spotting themselves using bogus calls.  The history of this is
available in the archives of the cq-contest reflector... that mal
knows well I'm sure.  Now, as mal has noted, there was a sudden surge
in bogus stuff from there a while ago... this happened after the
dxsummit site suffered a server crash.  There was a month or so when
it was down completely, then when it came back they must have gone
back to older software and the ip page wasn't working.  It took about
6 months of communications with various contacts in Europe to get
them
to put the page back and it is just starting to take hold again I
think.

Unfortunately there will always be some miscreants who will use cheap
internet accounts or other methods to avoid being identified just to
cause trouble.  There is no way to stop them, block them in one place
and they show up somewhere else with fresh attacks.  The best thing
that can be done is to ignore them, don't respond and they eventually
get bored and fade away.  Respond to them, make threats that you will
track them down, and they just keep going.  This is an unfortunate
trait of some people that shows itself whenever there is a method of
hiding your identity from the masses... some people will take
advantage of that anonymity to stir the pot, make personal attacks,
or
just otherwise disrupt society.

Now, how does this help?  Well, it lets you know that mal is trying
just inflame the situation by spreading partial truths and leaving
out
information that he should be well aware of. You are invited to
review
recent discussions (most recently starting after cqww ssb) on the
cq-contest reflector to see his comments, including a call for a
complete shutdown of the spotting network, and the responses to it on
there.

Oh, and the next step???  Well unfortunately in most cases even with
the ip address of a miscreant either from dxsummit or a 'normal'
cluster log there is very little that can be done.  Ip addresses can
be tracked as far as an isp in most cases, but only rarely to a
specific computer.  The analysis I do from contest logs uses pattern
analysis to show that it is likely that there is something untoward
going on, it is then up to the contest sponsors to compare the
spotting data with participants logs to take any action they may feel
is appropriate.  I have had many queries from people who have been
attacked by some of these miscreants via dxsummit and have provided
them with the ip address, isp abuse contacts, etc... all of which is
public record.  but have not heard of any of them getting
satisfaction
from an isp in fingering an abuser or getting them cut off.  As I
understand it the EU privacy statutes make it all but impossible to
get any user information, and when it crosses country lines its
probably even worse.  In the states it would take something like an
order from a federal judge to get isp's to release records, and then
its only likely under some kind of national security investigation...
so don't threaten terrorism or a federal official and you are home
free... attack me and all I can do is watch it scroll by on my
screen.
 Unless of course its hidden in some reflector that I don't subscribe
to by someone who doesn't want the full truth out there.

<snip further hate mongering, calls for immediate action, baseless
statements, calls for lynchings, etc>

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: http://www.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://dxc.k1ttt.net"