Part 1 (as the whole is too big to send)
From:                   "Jerry Keller - K3BZ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                     "\(Reflector\) DX-NEWS" <dx-news@njdxa.org>
Subject:                [DX-NEWS] Packet Cluster Problems: K1TTT's Response
Date sent:              Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:05:56 -0500

As Paul Harvey likes to say, here's the rest of the story.  After
seeing Mal N7MAL's original post on DX-NEWS describing "bogus DX
Packet Cluster spots" on K1TTT's node, I e-mailed Dave K1TTT (who
isn't a member of either DX-NEWS or DX-CHAT) to see what he had to
say
about it.  Dave asked me to pass on his response, as follows:

"Please pass this back on from me if you would... I hope I'm not
being
too blunt, but this discussion is getting old and it's annoying to
see
it pop up in a whole new incarnation.  It should be noted that I do
not coordinate with, nor speak for, ja2yyf.

If they 'do not exist' how did you identify them?  And why have you
not contacted me directly??  Oh wait, I already know that answer...
you already know what these nodes are and are fishing for a
sympathetic audience to turn against me for pointing out the facts on
cq-contest.  For those of you who don't frequent the cq-contest
reflector, this discussion has been repeated on there regularly,
including the explanation of what those nodes are and where the spots
come from.  Mal is now apparently trying to raise the same issues
with
a new audience, probably hoping to find some people who are more
likely to take action than to check the facts.

> Apparently spots, from a great many nodes, come
> into K1TTT and are, for whatever reason, reprocessed and
> retransmitted with the K1TTT-14 designator. The same applies to
> JA2YYF.

For those of you who haven't seen this before here is the real story:
The k1ttt-14 and ja2yyf-7 'nodes' collect spots from the #cqdx irc
channel. irc is one of the oldest (probably the first) and largest
instant messaging systems on the internet.  Short for 'internet relay
chat' it is made up of a world wide network of servers and supports a
flexible configuration of chat 'rooms'.  These rooms are usually
dedicated to particular topics, the #cqdx room is mostly about dxing,
though other radio chat topics often come up there.  This room is
created and run by n6rt who provides a dx spot feed into it from a
variety of cluster nodes, and also the dxsummit webcluster site.
This
makes it a relatively reliable source of spots and also provides a
source to get the dxsummit web site spots that otherwise get fairly
limited distribution.  There is a growing number of users who only
send spots via the dxsummit web site including some very active dx
and
contest stations.

K1ttt-14 and ja2yyf-7 both take spots from the #cqdx irc channel (see
http://dx.qsl.net/cqdx/ for more info) and put them into the cluster
backbone identified, as you can see, by our own node calls just so
they can be traced.  You should note for later in this story that
this
k1ttt-14 identifier was used by a node sysop around the start of the
iraq war when a station made some threats against pres bush on the
cluster, the secret service gave me a midnight call asking where the
spot came from which I provided to them.... this becomes important
later.

Now, normally the #cqdx feed from the regular cluster nodes is a bit
slower than the normal node backbone connections.  This means that
the
spots that get put on there that have already been on the 'normal'
backbone are a bit delayed, my software that runs k1ttt-14 and
ja2yyf-6 reads them and removes dupes of spots that it has already
gotten from the normal backbone.  The ar-cluster software that those
'nodes' feed then further filters them before they get sent on to the
rest of the world.  Because of the delays in each step those spots
rarely get out unless there is a breakdown in the backbone somewhere.