> We shouldn't assume that improved receiver performance comes
> automatically along with all the extra features. For example,
> although the FT-1000MP is my primary workhorse rig, I have always
> been disappointed that its raw sensitivity on a totally quiet band
> (10M long path for example) is not as good as my old Kenwood TS-940S,
> which will be back on live standby when the sunspots eventually
> return.

John,

Do you have the INRAD Front End Mod installed?  This really seemed to liven
up my FT-1000MP, especially on 10 meters.  It is only $55 and can be easily
installed and removed.  See http://www.qth.com/inrad.  I live out in the
country and have very little problem with environmental noise.  With the mod
installed, I can easily hear a difference in the level of white noise when
the antenna is connected.  So,  in theory, I should be able to hear anything
that is at or above the environmental background noise level.

73 de Bill